If you've never been backpacking and you want to go, what comes after saying, "I want to go backpacking"?
If you missed Chanell's intro story, you'll want to take a read. She asked some great questions that are on the forefront of her mind after publicly announcing that she wants to go on her first ever backpacking trip. To recap, here are her top five initial questions:
- What do I need?
- How do I find where I want to go?
- Where do I get what I need at a reasonable price?
- What am I missing?
- It can't be this simple - what else do I need to be asking?
Most beginners have the same questions about what gear they need and where to go. (I'm surprised Chanell didn't have any questions about bears, but I'm sure those will creep up soon enough.) Let me dive in with my responses to these questions, and we'll see how helpful they are - or not. Do they make sense? Does it still leave her baffled? Does it help her get one step closer to standing on the trail? You all are invited to chime in too, in the comments below.
1. What do I need?
Chanell, here's a general gear checklist. I use it to make sure I don't forget my essentials. It's written in the general because there are different considerations for different seasons, altitudes, location. You can use it as a guide to think about what you'll need for your trip. For the specific things I take, here's my gear list.
Depending on where you're going and the weather, you'll use that info to determine what clothes you'll need. I don't recommend buying anything until this aspect nailed down.
2. How do I find where I want to go?
This is a great question! Because there are so many choices, I think it would probably be helpful to filter your options. Here are a few questions to consider:
- Is there a place you've heard of that you'd like to explore?
- How far are you willing to drive? (E.g. 1-2 hours? Half day? Full day?)
- How many days do you want to be backpacking? (Exclude travel time)
- Do you want to see anything specific? A lake? Waterfall? Awesome mountaintop view?
- What kind of backpacking would you like to do?
- Fairly easy (1-5 miles, not a lot of ascent or descent)
- A good challenge, but not too hard (4-7mi/day, more steep uphill and downhill)
- Challenging (7+ miles/day with at least one pass - that means hiking up to the top of a mountain range)
- Let's get it (You're game for 10+ miles, passes, etc.)
3. Where do I get what I need at a reasonable price?
I just wrote a post about ways to find gear for cheap or even free here.
4. What am I missing?
The first questions that pop into my mind when I'm thinking about a planning a backpacking trip are as follows:
- When is the best time to go? Can I go then?
- What do I want from this trip?
- What kind of a physical challenge am I looking for?
- Am I equipped for this trip? If not, what do I need?
- Do I want to go solo or with people? If the latter, who?
- Where can I find more info and trail recommendations on the area?
- Which ranger station is the one that knows the most information about the area?
5. It can't be this simple - what else do I need to be asking?
There's plenty more to come as we get closer to your departure. Let's focus on question #2 and find you a place to go!
What would you add?