I'm a simple gal. A hassle-free one, really. Backcountry meals really brings that out in me. So when I found this recipe for homemade instant oatmeal packets, I was sold! It's perfect for simple, nourishing backpacking breakfasts with (this is key) VARIETY!
I tried the exact recipe from the website and found that I wanted more milkiness, sweetener and flavor, so altered it to suit my palette. The best part of these recipes is that you can get really creative and mix & match flavors and make it what you want it to be. Here's my version of The Yummy Life's recipe:
Ingredients for oatmeal base
- Small snack-size ziploc bag
- 1/3 c instant or quick rolled oats
- 2 tsp oat bran
- 3 Tbsp powdered milk
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
SHOP THE OATMEAL BASE INGREDIENTS
Ideas for Flavor Combos
- Apricot-Ginger: 1 Tbsp chopped apricot + 1 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
- The added benefit of ginger is its medicinal properties for dealing with stomach issues*
- Chop the ginger into really small pieces. If it's too big, the burst of flavor is too intense.
- Apricot-Almond-Coconut: 1 Tbsp chopped apricot + 1 Tbsp of almonds + 1 Tbsp of coconut
- Ginger-Almond-Coconut: 1 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger + 1 Tbsp of almonds + 1 Tbsp of coconut
- Almond-Coconut: 1 Tbsp of almonds + 1 Tbsp of coconut
- Banana-Apricot: 3 Tbsp freeze-dried bananas + 1 Tbsp chopped apricot
- Strawberry/Banana-Coconut: 3 Tbsp of freeze-dried strawberry/banana mix + 1 Tbsp of coconut
- Flax-Coconut-Almond: 1 tsp ground flax seeds + 1 Tbsp of coconut + 1 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Chia-Coconut-Almond: 1/2 tsp chia + 1 Tbsp of coconut + 1 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Blueberry-Banana-Almond: 2 Tbsp freeze-dried blueberries + 3 Tbsp freeze-dried bananas + 1 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Apricot-Walnut: 1 Tbsp chopped apricot + 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts
HOW TO PREP
- Open up all the small snack bags
- Go through and systematically go through one ingredient at a time: oatmeal, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and then salt
- Chop up your preferred toppings (i.e. I chop the ginger, apricots, walnuts, macadamia into small pieces and don't worry about the freeze dried fruits because they'll get kinda crushed in your pack anyway.)
- Add your toppings to each ziploc snack bag
- Seal up and label with the flavor + "Add 3/4c H2O" so you don't forget how much water to add.
- HOT: Put in your cup, add 3/4c-1c of water, stir and eat.
- NO COOK: Put in a ziploc bag (slightly larger) OR a ziploc twist n' lock, add water and let it sit overnight. When you wake up in the morning, breakfast is served.
- I buy almost all the products from the bulk section at our local grocery store, so I just use what's available there. But if you don't have a natural food store in your hood, you can get any of the toppings online. Check out the variety!
- You can make this however you want. You really can't go wrong.
SHOP FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITE FLAVORS
PROTIP: Just take one cup to eat and drink out of. Less mess, less cleaning. Simple!
Have a suggestion for an awesome oatmeal combo? Tell me in the comments below.